I've liked a girl for 8 years now. Here's a little context before I jump into my actual question: For her undergraduate studies, she went to a different country but I managed to reach the same country for my graduate studies. In fact, the same city actually. She is now working and I am continuing my studies.

I met her recently and realized my feelings haven't changed a bit. This could be attributed to the fact that my image of her has not changed in the last 8 years. Agreed that her tastes have changed but I can adapt to that. I am not perfect and am not expecting her to be perfect. Everyone has their own personal choices. Off late, I've been thinking that things would be so easy if the following happens:

STAGE OF CONFESSIONS: I go and confess my love
STAGE OF DECISION MAKING: She will then decide to either ignore it or give it a shot and then tells me what she thinks
STAGE OF MOVING-ON: If she does decide to give it a shot, we will try and see if things work. If not, we will decide to remain as at least good friends.

But the world doesn't work that way. From all what I've heard from others, the only thing that happens is that the girl stops talking thereafter. I think this is kind of naive between adults but it happens. But if I take too much time to confess my feelings, I might not even get a chance at a later time (I don't even know if she is already seeing someone and am quite skeptical about even confessing). At the same time, I would like to get "some" answer. So my questions are:

1. Going and asking her if she is seeing someone seems stupid to me and makes me look insecure. But without knowing this, does it make sense for me to confess my feelings?
2. If so, what is the most appropriate way to confess my feelings without freaking her out or surprising her? We've gone out once for dinner and we might meet again in a couple of weeks but I see this going nowhere because the gaps will keep increasing because I'm now moving to a different city. Do I wait (then what about my first question) or just talk things frankly (what is the best way to say this)?

I am not sure if I should confess my feelings and end a friendship or retain my feelings and bleed internally everytime I meet her. Do I tell her personally or write her a letter? I'm just confused! Any suggestions?