+ Follow This Topic

Thread: getting back together, or staying just friends?

getting back together, or staying just friends?

I'll try to keep this as short and simple as I can.

I recently had dinner with my ex-girlfriend. We've been friends for around 12 years, and during those years, we were also together for a little while here and there. Sometimes, we'd try to be "just friends" but it never worked out because it was just kinda weird and awkward.

Anyway, we haven't seen eachother in person for a couple years. We recently started texting last month, and we decided to meet up and have dinner the other day.

It felt like old times again, we talked, laughed and had a good time. It was good to see her again. We talked about what we'd been up to, what we'd like to do in our lives, etc.

But there were a few things she said that made me wonder, "What does she mean?"

At one point, she said, "I know because of our past, us being 'just friends' has never worked out. But I'd like to see you again."

Anyway...the fact that she said she knows "just friends" doesn't work (but then told me she wants to see me again) ..does that mean that she wants to eventually go back to being more than friends?

She also said, "I didn't come see you just to catch up with an old buddy. That's not what this is."

A little while after that came up, she smiled and wanted us to change the subject. She said she was getting nervous talking about it, so I said okay.

After dinner, she asked me if I would sit next to her in her car while it warmed up, so I said okay.

After a few minutes, she leaned over and put her head on my shoulder and we talked and listened to music. It was time to go, so we hugged goodbye. I got into my car, she looked at me and waved, and we went our separate ways.

I was wonder what she meant by those things she said, and how I should take them.

She wishes it could work between you 2
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

You know what.....why don't you just ask her?

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that she wants to give it another go. Sounds like you have something worth fighting for here. And when I say fighting, I mean trying to make it work out between the two of you.

She views you as more than a 'friend'.

She actually told you, that it's not just a buddy's catch up for her and that she hopes to see you again. It's going to be a real date next time good luck!

She is scared to become dependant of her feelings for you. She is an "all in" person who can become very devoted in a relationship, and to an extent, she goes about having relationships with people who obviously are the wrong fit. Cause that way she is in control. With you it's different and she feels vulnerable. If you want to go for it, be serious about it or it will hurt her a lot. And if you do go for it, reassure her you mean it and want it to last.

[url]http://beforeyoubuythering.tumblr.com/[/url]
    Last edited by dguywithabeard; 13-01-11 at 09:16 PM.

Cause that way she is in control. With you it's different and she feels vulnerable.
    That's interesting, but I don't really understand why she'd feel vulnerable with me. Any ideas?