I'm a senior and he's a sophomore in high school. I got to know him since February and we've become good friends through traveling to competitions and practices together. He's very funny, charming, and smart. He's also very sociable to a lot of girls, but in no mean of flirting. I considered asking him to my senior prom but I never did because I'm a shy type.

Last week, a friend asked him to go to prom with me (without my awareness). This friend didn't tell me what happened until 3 days later. She said his response was, "Omg, I don't know what to say. My parents would never let me go." I was really embarrassed. So, I chatted with him on FB and I said, "Hey, so today I found out that A tried to get you to go to prom with me. I'm sorry I didn't mean for it to be awkward to you at all. But, I was planning on going with a group of friends." He said everything is fine and we continued to talk about other things as well. Since then, he's been avoiding eye-contact at school. He used to comment on everything that I say on FB but now he doesn't do that anymore. I really miss his company. Why is he acting this way? What should I do ?

P.S. We have another competition coming up and I'm afraid of awkwardness.