+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Taking a break

Taking a break

My girlfriend and I had been dating for 4 years. We met in college but she is a year older than me. We dated for a year then did the long distance thing for year then lived in the same city for a year and now we are doing long distance again. I had to move because I went back to dental school but she cannot do her job where I go to school. Anyway the other day she tells me it is too hard and she needs to take a break to make sure this relationship is what she really wants. I do not want this but she does. My fear is that while we are taking a break some guy will hit on her one night at a bar and she might do something with him. We have always been faithful and I would have never thought this would happen if weren't taking a break. She says she thinks she is going to want to get back together in the future but that would be tough for me if she were with someone else. I have told her how I feel but she doesn't think we should make rules for each other. Any thoughts on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly my friend, if that is what she wants don't fight it. Im going through such a break now, and this is the 4th or 5th time shes tried it. If your girlfriend thinks that she needs to make sure, let her make sure, otherwise she will probably have doubts and insecurities for a long time.

As far as her getting together with other guys, you just have to trust her. If she has her head on straight she probably won't do anything that she will regret. And if she does get with another guy, well hopefully you can trust that that is her decision, and if it makes her more sure that she wants to be with you I think it is worth it.

Good luck man.

I consider "breaks" as "breakups" now that I've experienced one.

Rod Steele

Yeah, theres no in between really.

If she really want to take break, well let it. Move on with your life, she'll do the same with her. I agree with sfalexi too, so keep yourself busy in the dental school and don't think about her anymore, just be her friend (if you want) but not too friend. A casual e-mail is enough.

Good Luck.

bluestrattos, ur makin it sound so easy >_<
    Just a opinion

yes i know that sounds easy. I took 4 months before i start any sort of communication with my ex. Actually we're friends but not much. A simple "hello, how are you?" when we see each other in the street and times to times, an e-mail.

It's not easy but it helps if you can keep yourself busy.

Thanks to all of you for your input.